Mobile Test Description And Tools
Mobile Test Description And Tools
What is Mobile Application Testing?
Mobile application testing is a process by which application software developed for handheld mobile devices is tested for its functionality, usability and consistency. Mobile application testing can be an automated or manual type of testing.
What Are Mobile Testing Tools?
Mobile testing tools are software for testing mobile apps. This category includes cloud-based testing tools, app distribution tools, crash reporting tools, performance testing tools, mobile phone emulators, automated UI testers, mobile optimization and A/B testing tools, and defect logging tools.
What are the tools used for mobile testing?
- Appium is a free, open-source mobile testing tool that supports a wide range of languages, test frameworks, and OS.
- It offers various integrations with third-party tools, enabling cross-platform testing using the same API, and tests reusability between iOS, Android, and Windows.
- Support all kinds of apps with no modification required, making it among the most robust and flexible mobile testing tools.
2. Katalon Studio
- Supports most testing capabilities offered by Appium, but easier: simple setup; effortless test script creation using keywords, images, objects; test execution locally and remotely on real devices, simulators or custom cloud-based devices, and flexible test reusability across mobile platforms, API, and Web.
- Offers powerful utilities to accelerate the automation process: Mobile Object Spy to quickly populate the project’s object repository and Mobile Recorder to generate automation scripts from recorded actions with built-in modifications and actions when recording tests.
- Integration with all the commonly used third-party tools (Jira, Git, Jenkins, etc.) and mobile platforms (Sauces Lab, Lambda Test, etc. )
Formally TestPlant, Eggplant is an AI-powered software test automation for desktop, web, and mobile apps.
- Test cases can run from the command line without supervision.
- AI-powered tools to ensure the continuity of tests while you’re doing remoted works on Cloud.
- Eggplant’s Digital Automation Intelligence platform can test any technology on any device, operating system, or browser at any layer, from the user interface (UI) to application programming interfaces (APIs) to the database.
TestComplete is an AI-integrated automated testing tool for UI tests in web, desktop, and mobile applications.
- For mobile app testing, TestComplete allows testing on both native and hybrid mobile apps on emulators, real devices or virtual machines.
Striving to be an all-in-one testing solution, Ranorex promises to deliver high-quality desktop, mobile, and web applications testing.
- Support iOS and Android testing, including native mobile apps and mobile web apps with detailed summary reports.
- Run cross-device tests in parallel or use Appium WebDriver for mobile web tests.
- Support limited languages but does offer powerful integration.
Another new player in the field, Kobiton markets itself as a mobile experience platform. From building device labs, instant health-check to run manual and automated tests on native, web, and hybrid Android/iOS apps with real devices.
- Built on top of the Appium open-source framework, Kobiton opens for integration with all frameworks (Appium, XCUI, Espresso, etc.)
- Pioneering Intelligent Test Automation and Appium Anywhere technology allows for a codeless mobile testing experience based on one manual test script and a seamless text script adaptation across devices.
- Providing the latest real, cloud-based devices, centralized testing history and data logs to support extensive collaboration between teams.
7. Monkey Talk
Monkey Talk, another open-source mobile testing tool, is a user-friendly tool that doesn’t require jailbreaking. It automates functional, real interactive tests for both Android and iOS — catering from basic smoke tests to data-driven test suites.
- Testers can generate XML and HTML reports with this mobile testing tool.
- Automatically take screenshots when an error or failure happens.
- For continuous integration needs, Monkey Talk also has inbuilt support for Jenkins and Hudson.
Created as an extension of the Android framework, Robotium is an open-source Android-only mobile testing tool that supplies robust automatic black-box test cases for Android applications.
- Unlike many other Android testing tools, Robotium also allows the automation of multiple Android activities and creates solid test cases in minimal time.
- Supports Java as the main programming language.
- Robust integration with Maven and Ant.
- An extensive library of unit tests.
9. iOS Driver
Another prominent open-source tool on this list, iOS Driver, is a Selenium-integrated mobile testing tool for iOS native, hybrid and mobile applications using Selenium/WebDriver API.
- Once compatible, testers can utilize some features of the Apple-developed X-code.
- iOS Driver makes it easy for testers as they don’t need to jailbreak, change any app code or load any additional app for testing the app on devices.
- iOS Driver can be used as a Selenium Grid Node, tests can be run parallel on the same architecture as the web, decreasing the feedback time for GUI test.
10. Test Io
Test IO is a leading SaaS platform for software crowd testing: the continuous testing of web and mobile applications by skilled human testers using real devices.
- From waterfall to continuous delivery, test IO tests when you need to: from prototype to UAT, regression, and even production.
- Integration with Jira, Github, Asana, etc.
- Remove QA bottleneck with on-demand, flexible testing that scales up to your needs.
Selendroid is among the leading testing tools for Android-based hybrid and native mobile apps. It addresses most setbacks presented by other Android mobile testing apps with its powerful integration of WebDriver API and Selenium System.
- An open-source framework for Android that can simultaneously interact with multiple devices, emulators, and simulators.
- Powerful recording features, UI testing, and flexibility with hardware devices.
- Testers are not required to alter their AUT for automation.
- Support real user simulators and large-scale remote testing.
- Extensive test failure analysis with dashboard and detailed artifacts (images, videos, crash logs, vitals, etc).
- Wide availability of framework and testing platform integrations.
Testdroid is a cloud-based software for mobile app testing that helps developers save development costs, eliminate the unpredictable operational cost, and improve time-to-market. Now Testdroid is under development at SmartBear, a leading provider of automation solutions.
- One of the best platforms to test your iOS and Android devices with different screen resolutions, OS versions, and HW platforms.
- Limit the risks of testing with real devices and agile practice.
- Allows remote access to more than 300 genuine gadgets running in Android.
Mobile Testing Types
- Functional Testing:
The basic type of Testing used to check functionalities of the application as per requirement specification
- Performance testing:
Performed for testing client application performance, server performance, and network performance
- Memory testing:
Mobile devices come with limited memory as compared to computers, this type of testing is performed to test the optimized memory usage by an application
- Interruption Testing:
Used to check for interruptions due to incoming call or SMS, low memory warning, low battery warning, while running the application
- Installation Testing:
Installation Testing is used to check for the easy and smooth installation process includes updating and uninstalling as well
- Usability Testing:
As always it used to check the efficiency, effectiveness, and satisfaction of application