What is Web Testing? Insight and Applications
What is Web Testing? Insight and Applications
Most of us make our decisions by searching the information on the internet these days, hence hosting a website is no longer optional but necessary for all kinds of businesses. It is the first step in becoming and staying consistent in the market. An organization is needed to develop a website that is informational, accessible and user-friendly. To maintain all these qualities, the website should be well tested, and this process of testing.
What Is The Testing?
Web testing is a software testing practice to test websites or web applications for possible bugs. It’s a complete testing of web-based applications before making active. A web-based system needs to be checked effectively from end-to-end before it goes live for end users.
By performing website testing, an organization can make sure that the web-based system is functioning correctly and can be accepted by real-time users.
The UI design and functionality are the administrators of website testing.
Web Testing Checklist
1) Functionality Testing
2) Usability testing
3) Interface testing
4) Compatibility testing
5) Performance testing
6) Security testing
Test for – all the links in web pages, database connection, forms used for submitting or receiving information from the user in the web pages, Cookie testing, etc.
Test forms on all pages:
Forms are an integral part of website. Form are used for receiving information from users and to interact with them. So what should be checked in these forms?
- First, check all the validations on each field.
- Incorrect inputs in the forms to the fields in the forms.
- Options to create forms if any, form delete, view or revise the forms.
Cookies are small files stored on the user machine. These are used to maintain the session – mainly the login sessions.Test the application by enabling or disabling the cookies in your browser possibilities.
Test if the cookies are encrypted before writing to the user machine. Cookies that expire after the session ends) check for login sessions and user stats after the session ends.Check the effect on application security by deleting the cookies.
Valitade HTML / CSS
If you are optimizing your site for Search engines then HTML/CSS validation is the most important thing. Mainly validate the site for HTML syntax errors. Check if the site is crawlable to various search engines.
Data consistency is also very important in a web application. Check for data integrity and errors while you edit, delete, modify the forms, or do any DB related functionality.
Check if all the database queries are executed perfectly, data is retrieved and also updated correctly. More on database testing could be a load on DB, we will address this in web load or performance testing below.
Database Testing will be done on database integrity.
Usability testing is the process by which the human-computer interaction characteristics of a system are measured, and weaknesses are classified for correction.
- Ease of learning
- Subjective user satisfaction
- General appearance
Test for Navigation
Navigation means how a user surfs the web pages, different controls like boxes, buttons, or how the user uses the links on the pages to surf several pages.
Usability Testing includes the following:
- The website should be easy to use.
- The instructions provided should be very clear.
- Check if the instructions provided are certain to satisfy its purpose.
- The main menu should be provided on every page.
- It should be consistent enough.
Content should be relevant and easy to understand. Check for spelling errorsThe way of dark colors annoys the users and should not be used in the site theme.You can follow some standard colors that are used for web pages and content building.These are the commonly accepted standards like what I mentioned above about annoying colors,frames, fonts, etc. All the anchor text links should be working properly. Images should be placed correctly with proper sizes.These are some of the primary important standards that should be followed in web development. Your task is to support everything for UI testing.
In web testing, the server-side interface should be tested. This can be done by verifying that the communication is done properly. Compatibility of the server with software, network, hardware and database should be tested.
The main interfaces are:
- Application server and Database server interface.
- Web server and application server interface
Check if all the interactions between these servers are effected and errors are handled properly. If the database or web server returns an error message for any query by the application server then the application server should catch and display these error messages appropriately to the users.
Check what happens if the user interrupts any transaction in-between? Check what happens if the connection to the webserver is reset in between?
The compatibility of your website is a highly important testing aspect. See which compatibility test to be executed:
- Browser compatibility
- Printing options
- Operating system compatibility
- Mobile browsing
The web application should sustain a heavy load. Web performance testing should include:
- Web Stress Testing
- Web Load Testing
Test application performance at different internet connection speeds.
Web Load Testing: You need to test if many users are accessing or requesting the same page. The site should handle many simultaneous user requests, simultaneous connection to DB, large input data from users, heavy load on specific pages, etc.
Web Stress Testing: Commonly stress means stretching the system beyond its specified limits. Web stress testing is performed to break the site by giving stress and it’s checked as to how the system responds to stress and how it recovers from crashes. Stress is generally given on input fields, login and sign up areas.
In web performance, testing website functionality on different operating systems and different hardware platforms is checked for software and hardware memory leakage errors.
Performance testing can be applied to understand the web site’s scalability or to benchmark the performance in the environment of third-party products such as servers and middleware for possible purchase.
Tested on various networks like Dial-Up, ISDN, etc.
i. What is the no. of users per time?
ii. Check for peak loads and how the system behaves
iii. A large amount of data accessed by the user
i. Continuous Load
ii. Performance of memory, file handling, CPU, etc..
- The following are some of the test cases for web security testing:
- Test by pasting the internal URL directly into the browser address bar without login. Internal pages should not open.
- Try some invalid inputs in input fields like login username, password, input text boxes, etc. Check the system’s reaction to all invalid inputs.
- If you are logged in using username and password and browsing internal pages, then try changing URL options directly. I.e. If you are checking some publisher site statistics with publisher site ID= 123. Try directly changing the URL site ID parameter to a different site ID which is not related to the logged-in user. Access should be denied for this user to view other people’s stats.
- Web directories and files should not be accessible directly unless they are given the download option.
- Test the CAPTCHA to automate script logins.
- Test if SSL is used for security measures. If used, the proper message should get displayed when users switch from non-secure HTTP:// pages to secure HTTPS:// pages and vice versa.
- All transactions, error messages, and security breach attempts should be logged in log files someplace on the webserver.
The primary reason for testing the security of a web is to identify potential vulnerabilities and subsequently repair them.
- Network Scanning
- Vulnerability Scanning
- Password Cracking
- Integrity Checkers
- Log Review
- Virus Detection
Check our best testing service!